Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Appreciation

No photo today, but something happened as I was leaving a classroom of school kids that made me smile and I thought I'd share it. I'd just spent an hour talking with the students about how the Native Americans in the area lived - how they built homes, hunted game, caught fish. I passed around reproduction stone fishing plummets & spear points and real antlers & animal skins. Then I finished up with a snack of corn bread, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds. All standard fare for me - this was the second class of the day at this particular school and probably the ninth time I'd given this spiel in the last few weeks.

As the kids munched their snack, I asked them if they had any final questions about Native Americans in the area. A few raised their hands and we talked about a couple of aspects of native life not yet covered. Then, a small boy near the front stuck up his hand and I called on him. His words? "I don't have a question, but today was awesome!"

Things like that remind me what it's all about. :)

No comments: