Thursday, April 19, 2012

Honoring Them, and Her

I hosted a school vacation program at one of my museums today.  The theme was the sinking of the Titanic and I've been doing very interesting research for the program since January.  Since this is the centennial year, Titanic's been everywhere and I wanted to take the chance to explore a bit deeper with and for the local kids.

Fifteen kids came to learn about that tragic and beautiful ship.  They saw photos of her, traced and colored a large image of her (above), heard about her story and some of the stories of her passengers, read about her sinking in reproduction copies of the April 1912 New York Times, ate the kind of food that was served in her dining rooms, and tapped out her distress call over handmade Morse code machines.  

I hope & think they went away with a better understanding of what happened and a connection to Titanic's story.  In the end, that's what we strive for, right?

No comments: