Monday, January 11, 2010

Wedding History

My apologies for not checking in for awhile. After my last post, I spent a couple of weekends away, in New York and Philadelphia. I had the chance to visit the Philly Museum of Art, Independence Hall, and the Liberty Bell, so I'll share my impressions and photos of those places soon.

In the meantime, I found something interesting closer to home. This Sunday, the University of New Hampshire Museum is putting on an exhibit of historic wedding dresses to complement a bridal show being held on campus. According the university's press release, the exhibit was created from the Irma Bowen Textile Collection, a collection of more than 600 samples of women’s and children’s clothing from the 1700s through the early 20th century.

According to the university's press release, the dresses on display this weekend will include a "wool designer gown covered with hand stitched lace and netting from the house of Maison Rouff in Paris and a burgundy long sleeve silk taffeta. Both dresses are circa 1890." They will also include an orange flapper-style dress. As UNH Museum Curator Dale Valena says, "“The exhibit helps to show the history of wedding dresses. I think people will be surprised to find that they weren’t always long and white."

You can read more about the exhibit here and here.

No comments: